Adding lemon to water not only quenches thirst better than any other beverage, but it also nourishes our body with essential vitamins and minerals. Lemon with water can be considered the best natural energy booster. When we wake up in the morning, our bodily tissues are dehydrated and are in need of water to push out toxins and rejuvenate the cells. In other words, this homemade “lemonade” helps eliminate internal toxins, regulating proper kidney and digestive tract functions by forcing them to work as smoothly as possible.
Here are 20 reasons why you should drink lemon water in the morning:
- Provides the body with electrolytes which hydrate your body. As lemons contain good amount of electrolytes such as potassium, calcium and magnesium.
- Reduces muscle and joint pain.
- Warm water with lemon helps digestion as lemon contains citric acid. It interacts with other enzymes and acids which easily stimulate the secretion of gastric juice and digestion.
- Cleanses the liver. Lemon juice stimulates the liver to release toxins. The liver also produces more enzymes from water with lemon than from any other food.
- Fights infections of the respiratory tract, sore throats and inflammation of the tonsils. This is due to the anti-inflammatory properties of lemon.
- Regulates natural bowel movement.
- Protects the body from free radicals and strengthens the immune system.
- Aids in proper functioning of the nervous system (as lemon has a high content of potassium). The nervous system needs a sufficient amount of potassium to ensure sustainable signals to the heart.
- Cleanses blood vessels and arteries.
- Helps lower blood pressure. A daily intake of one lemon can reduce high blood pressure by 10%.
- Creates an alkalizing effect in the body. Even if you drink it immediately before a meal, it can help your body maintain a higher level of pH. The higher the pH, the more your body is able to fight diseases.
- Improves our skin by rejuvenating the body. Drinking water with lemon regularly (every morning) will improve the condition of your skin.
- Helps to dilute uric acid, the built up of which leads to pain in the joints and gout.
- Beneficial for pregnant women. Since lemons are loaded with Vitamin C, it acts as an adaptogen helping the body cope with viruses such as colds. Furthermore, vitamin C helps the formation of bone tissue of the unborn baby and at the same time, due to the high content of potassium, a mixture of water with lemon helps forming cells of the brain and nervous system of the baby.
- Relieves heartburn. For this, mix a teaspoon of lemon juice in half a glass of water.
- Helps dissolve gallstones, kidney stones, pancreatic stones, and calcium deposits.
- Aids weight loss. Lemons contain pectin fiber, which helps suppress hunger cravings. Studies have proven people with a better alkaline diet have lost weight faster.
- Helps with tooth pain and gingivitis.
- Helps towards preventing cancer due to the fact that lemons are a highly alkaline food. Multiple studies have found that cancer cannot thrive in an alkaline environment.
- Tastes good.
How and when to drink water with lemon:
Take half a Cup of warm water and squeeze in at least half of lemon.
It is always best to drink water with lemon first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You can also sip this great cocktail one hour before meals for maximum results.